Another Year of Success for Paint the Gym Purple

Jessica Komperda, Staff Writer

On January 27, 2023 Oak Lawn Community High School hosted their annual Paint the Gym Purple basketball games to bring awareness about cancer, and provide encouragement to show OLCHS’ support to anyone who is affected or has been affected by cancer. 

Paint the Gym Purple originally started back in 2008 as an event to promote Relay for Life. The event was started by two University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign alumni, Jodi Newton and Faith Nelson. P.T.G.P. was inspired by the UofI basketball game Orange Krush, a basketball game to raise money for various charities.

During the Varsity Boys game, the Spartans came out with an astonishing win against Corliss, 84-38. Point mentions being Robert Wagner with 30 points, Corey Lee with 16 points, Ayham Salah with 11 points, Edwardo Chiquito with 9 points, Donte Montgomery with 7 points, Henry Martinez with 5 points, Kyle Blader with 2 points, Jack Dempsey with 2 points, and Muhammad Abdelfattah with 2 points.

Throughout the game great dedication from the players and coaches was seen. In the entirety of the game, enthusiasm and support came from the student section, crowd, and from both the cheerleading and dance teams.

Prior to the basketball ball games, OLCHS’ Student Helpers, Student Council, and Athletic department all contributed to the event. Students Helpers designed and sold t-shirts, Student Council helped Decorate the school for the event, and the Athletic Department advertised and promoted the game.

“Paint the Gym Purple is about wearing purple to make the gym look like a sea of purple to bring awareness about cancer, and to provide encouragement and support to anyone who was affected by cancer,” said Student Helpers Sponsor, Thea Meierkort. “The Proceeds and funds from the t-shirt sale, basketball game, and raffle all go towards a scholarship for a senior student who has been affected by cancer.”

Paint the Gym Purple was not only successful with athletics, but with its overall purpose of showing support and awareness for those affected with cancer. We can’t wait to see what the next Paint the Gym holds for us.