Journalism Heads To State

Rory Ali, Staff Writer

Journalism has a three year streak of going to state winning three sectional championships in a row. So although always impressive, this year they have completely gone off the charts with fifteen out of eighteen students going to state. First place, second place, and third place winners are recognized as sectional champions. First place winners are Ash Argueta for Copy Editing, Allie Gabriel for News Writing, Omar Tellez for Newspaper Design, Brendan Gallian for Sports Writing, and Yearbook Theme development being Mia Reyes and Staci Standquist. Second place winners are Hir Patel for Advertising, Elizabeth Concannon for Radio News, Annabel Davidson for Editorial writing, Sierra Knutsen for Headline Writing and Yearbook Caption writing, Paulina Komperda for Yearbook copywriting, and Rizan Ali for Yearbook Layout. Third place winners are Christian Swis for Editorial cartooning, Grace Tynski for Feature writing, and Mathew Perry, Victoria Hartin, and Patrycia Szlembarski for TV News. Runner ups, fourth place winners are Shelbylyn Dykstra for Photo storytelling, and Grace Tynski for Review writing. Our fifth place winner is Yumn Elameer for InfoGraphics. The Journalists have spent hours of their free time working to score in every single category and continue to work hard in hopes of winning state. Head Coach Patrick Diflippo exclaimed, “I am so proud of this team and how they competed at the Sectional.“ We now wait for April 21st which is when the state competition will take place. Until then, we wish the Journalists the best of luck.