Boys Soccer Kicking Off the Fall Season

Spartans soccer vs Stagg last Saturday with star captain Donal Nuggent showing great defense.

Michal Landa, Staff Writer

The Oak Lawn boys varsity soccer program has had a rocky start to the long awaited season. With a great win against Homewood Flossmoor to kick off the season, spirits were looking high but the next couple fixtures didn’t go as well for the Spartans. The Spartans had their heads up looking to place in the Windy City Classic tournament but had a tough loss against Plainfield South. Being down by one goal during halftime, the Spartans were prepared to give Plainfield a challenging game. Qassim Al Shariff scoring a goal half way into the second half, Oak Lawn still had hope for a victory. Within the last minute of the game, Oak Lawn was awarded a penalty. The team had hope in the star captain, Donal Nugent, that he would score the game winning goal. With very good placement of the ball, the team was very confident that it was going in. However the keeper just in time reacted to it and caught it. The game continued on into overtime and with luck, Plainfield managed to score a goal and win the game. The next games played against Lincoln Way East and Stagg were not very positive but the team kept fighting on to achieve a hard fought tie against Argo last Tuesday. The soccer team had tough games against Bremen and Chicago Christian this past week but had a great result against Oak Forest, beating them 2 to 1 on Tuesday night. Recent performances from Qassim Al Shariff have involved him tallying an impressive 5 goals in 7 appearances and Donal Nugent has proven himself to be a worthy captain by anchoring the spartan’s midfield and keeping all of his teammates mindsets in check. His performances on the field have been nothing short of spectacular due to his ability to pass the ball with precision, his crafty dribbling, and his physical dominance. The Spartans are looking ahead to Thursday night and hoping to get a good result against Tinley Park.

• Boys Soccer Kicking Off the Fall Season

Showcase

Hitting the Course

News

Student Video Announcements

Activities

Sweet Creativity

Activities

Building Hospitals for the Bolivian People

Showcase

A Rocky Start but a Promising Season

News

The Legacy of John McCain III: The Great, The Worst, and all of the in Between

Activities

A Sweet and Savory Moment to Remember

A & E

Popping into Spring With Music

Activities

How Do You Like Them Apples?

A & E

Homecoming Candyland Horoscopes

Boys Soccer Kicking Off the Fall Season