Hitting the Field

The Oak Lawn CHS 2016 Varsity Softball Team.

Peggy Fritz, Staff Writer

After months of conditioning, the softball girls are able to hit the field. The OLCHS Varsity Girls’ Softball team is made up of 5 seniors, 10 juniors, and 1 sophomore. With the help of the coaches, Mr. Frangella and Mr. Probst, the team hopes to top its record of 17 wins to 16 losses, done last year.

The team has five seniors: Maddie Pagliaro, Kara Melvin, Marissa Loya, Mia Lola, and Danielle Allen.

Senior Maddie Pagliaro plays center field and says “I will miss my teammates and the way I got so close to people I might have not met otherwise. I’m also going to miss both coaches, coach Frangella and coach Probst a lot, too. I’m even going to miss conditioning and morning practice.” She said that she learned a lot from all of her teammates and had lots of fun doing so.

Senior Danielle Allen, who plays first base and catcher, says that she will miss “Playing with my teammates the most because, even though I will continue playing softball, it won’t be the with the same people.”

The only sophomore on the team, Hailey Melvin, plays third base and shortstop, and she commented on how varsity is different from the junior varsity teams. She said that “the practices and competition are harder.”

One of the softball coaches, Mr. Probst, says that he is excited and hopeful for the new season. He hopes they will make great strides like they did last year and win conference. He said that this year’s team is a great group of girls, fun to be around and very competitive. Overall, he said that it was going to be a great season.

If you can, come out and support your lady Spartans!