Cross Countries: a New Future

A group of eleven student-leaders from OLCHS traveled last summer to experience both the misfortune and beauty of others overseas. Their mission: to raise $60,000 in order to travel to Amachuma, Bolivia, and provide both pecuniary and material help for the people living in what is known as the poorest region in the western hemisphere. Through two years’ worth of assiduous and exhausting work doing fundraising projects such as hosting public events, raffles, solicitations, et al., the team of eleven that constituted the 2015 Cross Counties group reached their goal by the outreaching hand of their community’s generosity. These members included: Jake Kupres, Maumean Elamin, Nick Minnella, Enrique Miranda, Kamila Zaremba, Luis Garcia, Omar Abdelrahman, Sergio Serna, Miles O’Brien, Mitchell Gonsch, and Tomasz Parzadka. Sponsors and chaperones included Mr. Christopher Repa and Mr. Dan Buys.

These Spartans followed the examples of Cross Countries groups before them, which have raised hundreds of thousands altogether to fund mission trips to both Bolivia and Kenya.

Once in Boliva, these young men and woman were thrown headlong into a new culture and way of life, and forced to quickly adopt it as their own. Within two short weeks, electricity was able to be installed in the only hospital available for miles to the people of El Alto. Bethel Hospital is the dream and continuing project of hostess Judy Yund, an American nurse who has dedicated her life to those she considers her family, the people of EL Alto. Students immersed themselves in this new world, living among natives and joining them in their mundane tasks and social gatherings. They explored the idyllic, historic landscapes and landmarks of the cities of La Paz, El Alto, and Copacabana. New friendships were formed, and the eclectic ethnic groups and cultures taught the students the value to unity and humility. Cross Countries was able to present Judy Yund with medical supplies, a commodity infinitely more difficult to replace in this poverty, and a check of over $12,000 toward the completion of Bethel Hospital. That same day, the local people and their children came to share a night near a fire with the students and enjoy in one another’s company. Two weeks quickly came by, and it was time to leave. Students left for their homes, carrying with them the many sights, tastes, smells, and memories of Bolivia.

“The experience allows students not only to meet new people and cultures, but also to develop their compassion, perception and respect of privilege, and direction in life. Privilege is big; students experience the disparities between home and Bolivia quickly,” said Mr. Christopher Repa.

Once again, OLCHS students have come together to create a new group and mission trip, determined to finish where other groups have started. Already a number have volunteered to take part in another trip to this time come closer to finishing Bethel Hospital. Staying true to the historical tradition of raising more than the last group, this new group will travail to surpass the $60,000 benchmark within another two years and travel to provide relief. When asked as to why he joined Cross Countries and why committed himself to such a cause, Justin Paslowski, junior, imputed his desire to return favors to others: “I have always wanted to give back to the community, locally as well as globally, so this was the perfect opportunity to do just that. It was an opportunity that required investment.” Indeed, once the work is over, these students will have the opportunity to be see and feel what others have done so before them: the acclimation to a new life and surroundings. If you should like to know more about Cross Countries, please see Mr. Christopher Repa in Room 274 in the science hallway.