Boys bowling strikes away the competition!

Omar Tellez, Staff Writer

Congratulations to the Varsity Boys Bowling Team for winning the SSC Red Conference Championship on the 7th of January. The spartans were consistent throughout the conference and took down the title bowling a 6360, knocking down over 1060 pins a game! Congratulations to everyone on the team but some players who should see some recognition are Ramiro Garcia for taking 3rd overall, Steven Hebel taking 5th. And Logan Wendt who took 6th place overall in the All- Conference Bowlers list. We cannot underestimate the whole team effort that this was, we shouldnt forget about Sam Bergamo, Domas Rasymas, Brandon Mariano, and Julian Amador, as the team could not have done it without them. As previously mentioned, Ramiro Garcia shined, bowling 298 in game 5! He hit the first 11 strikes and was 2 pints away from a perfect 300!  Overall a very well and consistent conference, that wouldnt have been possible with everyone on the team as the head coach Kevin Walery states,“ Consistency and picking up spared are what made the difference  If we continue to bowl like this next week, we should be in good shape to get the IHSA sectional” That isn’t all for the Spartan Bowling Team though, just a week  later the IHSA Regional at Skyway Bowl  took place. The difficult sectional included schools all across the south side, some of our rivals such as, Richards, EP, Eisenhower, and Shepard as well as stagg, brother rice, and chicago christian. This didn’t deter the spartans as even with a crazy week and losing 3 varsity bowlers, the Spartans persevered and came out on top  at the Morgan Park Regional.Returning to the lanes to present his skills, Steven Hebel finished as the 3rd place medalist, knocking down a whopping 1282 pins. As one of Stevens’ teammates testifies “Steven is one of our leaders, he bowled well when we needed it and had a huge day. He loved bowling at Skyway Bowl ”  Other players such as Sam Bergamo finished 8th, Logan Wendt 12th, and Domas Rasymas 15th, However, the team couldnt have been able to do it without freshman Gavin Rybicki, who stepped in and bowled his first ever varsity contest. As some one of his teammates recalled “Gavin was awesome. He gave us a huge lift. He bowled above his average and made the difference in a very close regional.”  He showed everyone what the spartans are about as he bowled avoce his average and made the difference in a 31 pin lead ahead of Morgan Park and a 47 pin lead in front of Richards. A special shoutout should be given to Ramiro Garcia for being a first class teammate all day but that doesnt overshadow how every player on the team was a vital part of their success.