Still “#EmbracingTheAwkward”

Still+%E2%80%9C%23EmbracingTheAwkward%E2%80%9D

Casey Fitzpatrick

On October 16th, OLCHS had the privilege to be accompanied by the motivational duo of Matt Matkovich and Phil Januzewski, the two components of M&P Productions. These two charismatic gentlemen described themselves as “a positive public speaking team […] that enjoy spreading positive energy.”

The students who were chosen by their activity advisors were given breakfast and a T-shirt that morning, shortly following a brief icebreaker in groups led by members of Student Council. Together, all of the students were assigned to compose a small cheer and a slideshow reflecting on their roles as student leaders.

Selected student leader, Cameron De La Mora, when asked how the conference benefited him reported, “It’s good to know there are people looking out for the youth.”

During the assembly, the speakers, Matkovich and Januzewski shared with students ways to “embrace” and encourage uncomfortable moments in life. They asked students to volunteer for several small demonstrations of these supposedly uncomfortable moments as a way to squash their preconceptions of being “awkward”. Not to mention, they were accompanied by pizza boxes stacked so high that they needed to be rolled in on trolleys.

In an intimate discussion panel held after the assembly, the two, Matkovich and Januzewski were asked questions by the conference students on leadership roles, their personal lives, and how they became the confident and successful people that they are.

Matkovich also stated in the discussion panel after their presentation, “Truly, confidence is just feeling comfortable in your own skin.”

After an afternoon full of adamant listening, the student leaders were given Potbelly lunches and spent the rest of their day working on a variety of service projects. When all of that was over, the cheers from each group were presented to the entire conference and there was an open discussion of what was accomplished that day.

If you are looking to become a part of the Junior Leadership Conference for next year, the best thing to do is maintain a reliable, responsible role as a leader in a club or activity.