Girls Basketball Prepares & Aims for Success

Left to right: Senior Cynthia Nunez, Senior Emma McGrath

Fares Marzouk, Staff Writer

Guided by a returning group of veteran athletes and supported by blossoming talents, the OLCHS girls basketball team is poised to take full advantage of their curtailed 2021 basketball season.

The Spartans are led by standouts Emma McGrath, Senior point guard and a great defender; Cynthia Nunez, Senior shooting guard and point guard; Carolyn Soukouna, Senior post player and a great rim protector; and Kate Dillon, Sophomore shooting guard who scored 440 points as a freshman on the sophomore team in the 2019-2020 season. 

Despite the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season, the girls team continued to work hard throughout the summer and fall. “Anytime that restrictions were lifted and we were allowed to be together, we took advantage of it”, said head coach Mark Sevedge. “Whether it was during the hot summer days of July when we conditioned outside on the football field, or during the fall when we could have no-contact workouts, or during winter break for 1 on 1 skill workouts, we jumped on the chance to get better”.

Tackling these workouts in the face of undesirable physical-distancing restrictions served to only increase the team’s grit and tenacity. Coach Sevedge testified, saying “I truly believe that this team has done everything they could during this unprecedented time to improve as players and as people”. These virtues and many others will undoubtedly propel the Lady Spartans towards their goals for the long-awaited season. “The goal for the team and the overall feeling is that we could compete for a conference championship this season”, said Coach Sevedge.