OLCHS Speech Team Off to a Great Start!

Mary Majcherek, Staff Writer

The OLCHS Speech Team had a strong start at their first two tournaments of the season on

November 9th. The team split up to compete at two different tournaments: varsity members

went to the Marian Classic, a varsity tournament at Marian Catholic High School, while the

novices went to the Downers Grove South Novice Tournament. Both halves of the team did

great and came home with medals and even a trophy.

At the Marian Classic, 12 people broke into finals in 9 different events. Daniel McLawhorn and

Jake Majerczyk were finalists in Dramatic Duet Acting. Emma O’Malley-Galvan was a finalist in

Original Comedy. Alexia Stang was a finalist in Humorous Interpretation. Grace Sievers took

6th in Special Occasion Speaking. James and Tomas Walsh took 6th in Humorous Duet Acting.

Ella  Moore took 4th in Dramatic Interpretation. Jada Jackson took 4th in Humorous Interpretation.

Daniel McLawhorn took 4th in Prose Reading. Finally, Sofia Serna took 4th in Impromptu

Speaking and was the tournament champion in Extemporaneous Speaking. The team placed

5th overall.

Now over to the DGS Novice Tournament, 7 people took home awards in 5 different events.

Melanie Cabrera took 5th in DI and Emma Mathews took 5th in PR. Mariana Salazar and Mia

Bello Ruiz took 4th in DDA. Sticking with duets, Elliot Dziemiela and Saad Mulhem took 2nd in

HDA. Last but not least, Haven Rupsch took 1st in HI.