Class Ranks

The top 15 students of this year’s senior class are proudly displayed in the main hallway for their academic achievement

Lukasz Teper, Staff Writer

Class ranks measures a student’s performance and compares it to other students in their class. The class rank has caused so many controversies amongst students and parents saying that it holds kids back from doing there best since they know they won’t achieve the highest rank on the scale. It makes them less motivated which in turn causes lower self esteem for some about there class rank since they feel like it’s no use of trying. It also creates an unhealthy competition amongst classmates. Were all they care about is trying to get to the top of that rank, it effects what they learn. I mean sure they’re learning but not really remembering they’re not doing to progress as people but just to be on top. Why would they create something that would cause many issues amongst students? Though all the flaws are quite noticeable there are some advantages to the ranking system. Class rank offer a way for Colleges to see how your academic achievements compare to those of your classmates along with being able to get scholarships. So, to find out what people really think of class ranks I got help from students themselves, and asked how many of them actually know about class ranks. When I asked, a majority of them didn’t even know what class ranks were until I explained and showed them what class ranks were. After looking at their ranks they felt a bit self-conscious of their score and felt as if they couldn’t do better. In conclusion this class rank system is not helping anyone it’s really just another form of fat shaming but with student intelligence. A school should not be a race to the top, it should be a place where we learn how to become the best version of ourselves and discover new things at our own pace, and if that’s the intent, then why are there class ranks to begin with?