The Great Alaskan Adventure

The cover of “Looking for Alaska” by John Green

Melanie Schlesser, Staff Writer

John Green. Some people groan at the name due to the overuse of The Fault in Our Stars seen a couple of years ago when the movie went big. I’m not hating on Hazel or Gus at all when I say they only come second of his books. One of my favorite books of all time may be the “stereotypical” John Green book, but that doesn’t make it any less great. Looking for Alaska is about Miles “Pudge” Halter finding himself and the Great Perhaps at Culver Creek Boarding School when he meets Alaska Young, and an immediate crush develops.
This may sound like your typical boy meets girl story, and some people may find it like that. But it digs deep into issues of teen alcohol use and reasons why it’s one of the worst ideas teens have ever thought of along with some drugs. It’s written as a timer, leaving the reader to wonder what the bomb is going to be. This book is a fast read if you like it, otherwise it might seem like a chore. Either way, I’m sure people will love it. Movies only portray the side of high school they want kids to get excited about-boyfriends, popularity, everything you could ever want in your deepest fantasy. Looking for Alaska shows a darker side of high school-what can happen to kids under pressure with teens leaning on legal practices to cope with everyday pressures of being teens.